Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Video Madness

The video I watched on YouTube was about the Seattle Public Library. It's not an especially good video and made a bit seasick, to tell the truth. But I was interested in seeing what the new Seattle library looked like, and it gave me a fair view.
(Main impressions of the Seattle Public Library, based on this video: Wow, they have a lot of light, and a lot of space. A lot of empty vertical space. The books seem a bit lost. I liked the low shelving on one of the floors (seemed to be a browsing section). Where is youth services? What the heck is that red room (see above photo)?? Seems like you need to have a very determined personality to want to use this library, what with all the escalators, eyes peering at you, different floors, etc. I like the auditorium.)
I like YouTube because it has such a wide variety of videos. The other sites looked more specialized, which would be great if that is what you were looking for. I also like that YouTube has notes, ratings, and time of the videos displayed in your search results. I would not be likely to use the other video-related sites for editing, etc., at the moment because I don't create videos.
I can see libraries using online videos as part of their website--virtual tours! Book talks! Explanations of Dewey system! And yes, Dabble could be useful in collecting interesting nonfiction videos for patrons.

No comments: