Thursday, March 27, 2008

Music, Audio and Such...a Mixed Bag

Hmmm. This is a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, I don't see myself using the social networking music sites such as last.fm or IMEEM. I'm just not that much of a music listener. I almost never listen to music at home (unless you count my husband's singing) and only occasionally in the car. I don't have an iPod. I'd rather read than listen.

On the other hand, I think the Internet Archive is a great idea. It describes itself as a library, and I think it will be a great reference source for librarians. Some of the other sites with audio books could make an important alternative to libraries, for those who want audio books, or who want to download classics. The selection is currently spotty, but I'm sure they're working on that.

The absolute sound effects archive is a hoot. If I want the sound of horses clopping on cement, I'll know where to go (if my coconut halves have gone missing, that is).

Mango Languages looks like another great resource, and one that I might actually use myself. Having the combo of spoken and written available for free online is great.

I could see libraries of the future, all full of computers as they will be, as a place where people come to use these sites. Of course they could use them at home--but many people like to be social, or get help. And libraries will always be a resource for those who can't afford computers, internet access, iPods, and the other gadgets that seem to be considered necessities now. Libraries, the Great Tool of Social Justice. Go libraries!

No comments: